This was my peak week of training and all went according to plan. I hit all my planned paces during my runs and I’m feeling I’m right where I need to be going into the Nagano Marathon. The body is responding and recovering well from all the hard workouts. Now all the hard work is done and I head into my taper period for the next three weeks. I plan to approach the taper a little differently than when I went into the Tokyo Marathon by doing a little more mileage, but at a lower intensity. If I reduce the mileage too much too fast, my muscles tend to start cramping for some unknown reason, especially during the last week of the taper, just walking down the street and especially walking down stairs. This seems to be something unique to me as I have not heard of anyone else having this same problem. I’m thinking this may be a mental thing too, but haven’t been able to pinpoint the cause. I may also experiment with the carbo-loading during the last week of the taper, I found that I gained a little more weight than I wanted to last time and will look for alternative approaches.
My diet has been good, I would say I’m eating 80% healthy and the other 20% not so much. But I’ve been pretty good at not over indulging during any meal, other than a mid-week Mexican restaurant lunch – just had to have that extra fajita that put me over the top. My weight inched up a bit – from 142.4 lbs to 143.3 lbs, but I’m still comfortably within my 140 – 145 lbs racing weight range.
This week I will begin my taper and plan to cut total mileage about 25% from my peak week. On Tuesday I’ll do 8 x 800s on the treadmill (8 x 800s @ 5:42 pace, 90 second rest between intervals), a 8 mile tempo run (sub 7-minutes) on Thursday, and marathon pace 15 mile run on Sunday. I’ll do two 60-minute sessions on the spin bike on Monday and Friday and strength training/yoga on Wednesday and Saturday.
Detailed recap of my workouts this week.
3/19, Monday – Strength Training (weights) and Spin Bike (60 minutes, 95 RPMs, 600 calories burned)
3/20, Tuesday (Intervals, Yasso 800s, 10 x 800s, Treadmill, 2% incline, 8 miles) – Felt pretty good today. 10 x 800s @ 2:51 (5:42/mile pace), with 90 second rest between intervals. Got 8 hours sleep. No pains. Ran in Newton Distance shoes.
3/21, Wednesday – Kettlebell Strength Training and Yoga (60 minutes)
3/22, Thursday (Tempo Run, 10 miles, 6:44/mile pace) – Legs felt springy today, good run. Good running weather, 41 degrees, 49% humidity, W 5 mph wind. Started a little slow but finished strong. Got about 7 hours sleep last night. No pains. Ran in Newton Distance.
3/22, Friday – Spin Bike (60 minutes, 95 RPMs, 600 calories burned)
3/23, Saturday – Kettlebell Strength Training and Yoga (60 minutes)
3/24, Sunday – (Long Run, 21 miles, average pace 7:06) – Last long run until the Nagano Marathon in three weeks. Perfect running weather, sunny, 50 degrees, low humidity (54%), and a little breeze (E 9 mph wind). Run felt okay, but it was a bit of an effort to keep it at marathon pace – maybe a bit dehydrated today. Overall, feeling pretty good heading into the taper period. Got 8 hours sleep last night. No significant pains, although have had a dull pain on the inside of my right ankle for a couple weeks. Doesn’t prevent me from running. Ran in Newton Distance.
Total Running Miles – 40 miles (week’s goal – 38 miles)
Cross-Training – Two 60 minute sessions on spin bike Monday and Friday
Kettlebell Strength/Yoga – 2 hours
Week 1 – 143.5 lbs (65.1 kg)
Week 2 – 145.3 lbs (65.9 kg)
Week 3 – 142.4 lbs (64.6 kg)
Week 4 – 143.3 lbs (65.5 kg)