Below is a recap of my 2013 running goals along with my goals for 2014. It was a mixed bag for 2013, but I’m going to call it successful overall. I have nothing outlandish planned for 2014 other than some incremental improvements in my race times and eating a 95% whole foods, plant based diet. I’m not a big goals person, but find them helpful with running because you can easily measure and quantify them. I still think I may have a couple PRs left in my legs, so we’ll see what happens.
Recap of 2013 Goals:
1. Run 1,800 miles – Close, but a little short. Ran 1,632 miles in 2014.
2. Run 4 Marathons – Close, ran 3 marathons this year – Carlsbad, Boston and San Diego. I did run 2 half marathons, which is a distance I’m really beginning to like. I decided to nix the 4th marathon since I was burned out on marathon training and needed a break after San Diego.
3. Run a sub-3:10 marathon – Fail, best time was 3:24. Plan to try again in 2014.
4. Eat 80% vegan, sleep 7 – 9 hours a night, maintain weight between 140 ~ 150 lbs, cross-train/stretch, and keep stress low – Achieved, did a relatively good job in all these areas, although I did experiment for a few months with a low-carb diet. However, I’m back to mostly a whole foods, plant based diet again.
Goals for 2014:
1. Run 1,500 miles
2. Run 2 Marathons (Carlsbad and Mountain to Beach marathon)
3. Run a sub 3:10 marathon
4. Run 4 Half Marathons
5. Run a sub 1:25 half marathon
6. Eat 95% vegan, sleep 8+ hours a night, maintain weight between 140 ~ 150 lbs and body fat between 7 ~ 9%, cross-train/stretch on my non-running days, and maintain a low stress lifestyle